In recent years, TALENTUUM conducted numerous projects during which we observed several deficiencies regarding the sales culture. Here are some examples:
- Many people believe that business development is only the responsability of vendors or partners.
- Few organizations encourage and recognize the contribution of their people in the business development process.
- Presence of one or more “sales prevention” departments of (eg. “Tell your client …”).
- The sales process is often informal.
- If it is formal, it is seldom known by those who are not directly involved in sales.
- Many people do not know when and how they can contribute to the sales process.
- Sometimes people do not know what their organization sells and who are the buyers.
- Within many organizations, only few references come from inside the organization.
- Several organizations have very basic tools to estimate the potential future income (sales funnel).
In addition, a study produced by John Kotter, published in his book Corporate Culture and Performance (1992), clearly indicates that companies having a culture of performance, get much higher financial results than those with no culture of performance. The table below provides some proof:
The birth of an innovative index
Kotter’s results as well as our own research efforts have led to the creation of a unique assessment tool: the SCMI (Sales Culture Maturity Index). Using an online questionnaire, 12 specific dimensions are measured. See table below:
Why measure your SCMI?
Many companies that have submitted their employees (sales, sales support, etc.) to the SCMI questionnaire could quickly identify the dimensions that need improvement. In addition, one of these companies told us about major outcomes obtained after the implementation of some recommendations coming from the SCMI analysis. The table shows examples of actual outcomes:
Such results are common for companies that have used the SCMI to transform their sales culture. If you also want to perform an SCMI analysis to quickly identify areas of strengths, concerns and weaknesses in terms of sales culture, and then transform or improve your sales culture, contact TALENTUUM.
Download the SCMI brochure at http://www.talentuum.com/IMCV_en.pdf.
Vice-president Professional Services